Made up of several coal exploitations of which we highlight the Pejão, Fojo and Germunde, the mining complex had the beginning of its activity in 1859. Managed by the Douro’s Coal Company, these exploitations were integrated into the coal basin of the Douro, with rocks old from the Paleozoic Carboniferous period. From its history, there is the period after 1933 with the arrival of belgian Jean Tyssen that with a high investment, increases the production in an impressive way, reaching in 1957, the 350,000 tons of extracted coal. Jean Tyssen also applied important social policies, investing in health, sports, culture, as well as improving working conditions. In 1994 the mines are officially closed and in the same year, it’s inaugurated a statue honoring the miner, in Germunde.